–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Seed Cake

Seed cake is a favourite of my parents and although I love it now, I do remember trying to enjoy it as a child. It seemed wrong not to like something that was cake, but somehow I had trouble with the unusual flavour and texture of the seeds. Please don't let this put you off as I'm sure it was a childhood finickiness that I eventually overcame through perseverance.

I like to use a basic madeira cake recipe for this one and the flourish of sugar over the top, before baking, gives a lovely crunchy texture. The cake is rich and buttery with a pleasing crumb and goes very well with a good cup of tea.
I find that the cake tastes better the next day and improves over time as the caraway seeds release their oils.

Ingredients
240g softened unsalted butter
200g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinking
1tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
210g self-raising flour
90g plain flour
1tbsp (generous) caraway seeds

Method
Preheat oven at to 170 C / Gas mark 3. Grease a loaf tin with butter.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the vanilla extract.
Mix in the eggs, one at a time with a tablespoon of flour with each, then mix in all the remaining flour, then finally fold in the caraway seeds.
Sprinkle liberally with caster sugar just before putting it into the oven.
Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin before turning out onto wire rack.

1 comments:

bilant said...

Hmmm this recipe looks so delicious and nice and i think that fits perfect with my taste and in my opinion is a very easy recipe, so i think i will try it. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails