–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Friday 8 April 2011

Muesli Cake

The trouble with collecting recipes in the form of magazine clippings, ancient scrawls on bits of paper and in this case, a hastily typed up family favourite, is that they often get mislaid in a huge pile.
Having no library system as such, to find my 'lost' notes, it involves some patience as I trawl through a big box of cuttings until I can locate them.
The mountain has become my recipe Everest, but I'm determined to conquer it to reach the culinary gems hidden within its crevasses.


Many years ago I typed up a cake recipe that my Mum used. I think it came from some kind of wholefood cookery book, from a time when my family were subjected (I think that's the right word) to trying out healthy hippy meals, that she wanted to try out. Our enjoyment of some was questionable, but one in particular was a real winner. This muesli cake is sticky, moist, fruity and wonderfully malty. I would say it is best described as being something like bread pudding and malt loaf.
The cake does not contain any dairy products, so no eggs or butter, in fact no fat at all, just the oil used to grease the tin, so it would be suitable for vegans.

It is very easy to make and I probably don't need the recipe anymore, but I'm glad I've now rescued it in this blog post. The type is beginning to fade and the paper is stained, but I might just keep it for its nostalgia value.


Ingredients
6 oz muesli
6 oz sultanas
8 fl oz apple juice
6oz wholemeal flour
3 tblsp baking powder
4 oz molasses sugar
2 tblsp malt extract
2 cooking apples, peeled and cored
8 walnut halves

Method
Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4. Line and grease a 7 inch cake tin.

In a large bowl, tip in the sugar, muesli, sultanas, malt extract and apple juice and mix well to combine and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
Then grate the apple into the bowl and mix well.
Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir thoroughly until well mixed together.
Turn the cake mixture into the cake tin, smooth over the surface and decorate with the walnut halves. Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean when the cake is cooked.
Let the cake cool slightly before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails