–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Saturday 2 October 2010

Total Greek Yogurt



My fridge is never without a pot of natural yogurt resting on its shelf, I would say that it has become an essential store cupboard mainstay. From breakfast to dinner it always has a place in my kitchen, I like to stir it into my morning muesli, make pasta sauces or even put it into cakes or muffins.

Having been asked to try out the full range of Greek yogurts from Total, I've had an interesting time experimenting with it in my cooking. Total is available in three different fat contents; 10%, 2% and for the diet conscious, 0%. They are real Greek yogurts not 'Greek style' that's often sold as the supermarket own brand type, so they are made traditionally and naturally resulting in a thick, creamy and delicious consistency.

All three variants have a clean and not too sour taste which makes them a perfect cream alternative to accompany desserts. There is a new split pot too, with honey to drizzle into 2% fat yogurt, This is absolutely gorgeous. The honey is the real thing, no stretching it further with flavoured sugar syrups and there's a generous amount – great to take anywhere – just remember to pack a spoon.


I found Total easy to cook with, both the 10% and 2% fat versions are very stable when heated, they don't split which can often be the case with other yogurts.
I used some stirred through a pasta sauce I made using chorizo and parsnip which gave just the right amount of creaminess to cling to the tagliatelle.


If you're curious as to how yogurt can be used in cooking take a look at Total's website where there is a vast range of recipes to try.
I made the Labneh balls which are very easy to prepare. Simply strain the 10% fat yoghurt, mixed with salt, through a cloth overnight, to leave a dense fresh cheese and then take pieces of it and roll into balls. I drizzled them with fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and dressed with fresh mint leaves and thyme sprigs. They are best served with some Mediterranean flatbreads.

There's still more yogurt in the fridge, and luckily it has good keeping qualities while still sealed, so I have more for further cooking adventures.

For further information and recipes etc. visit: www.totalgreekyoghurt.com
Photos: ©childsdesign 2010

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails