–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Friday 4 January 2008

Dreaming of Dumplings

Now, when I left the house in the morning, I was in England, but somehow the journey home found me in Siberia. Well at least the weather seemed to say so. The chilling wind was so bitterly cold, I felt my face freezing into a twisted grimace as I trudged towards the train station. At last I could take refuge in the waiting room for the half hour wait.

What is it about station facilities? There was no heating and the seats were made from metal! As I tried to make myself comfortable on the bone chilling seat, I became aware of the fact that the aluminium was conducting every bit of life-giving warmth away from my body through my derrière!
Thinking about what Ray Mears would have done in this situation, I found a newspaper in my bag and used it as an insulating cushion.

Reasonably comfortable at last, my mind turned to food... mmmm a warming velvety goulash, the kick of the finest Hungarian paprika radiating it's soothing warmth from lips to stomach – a delicious and satisfying form of central heating. Of course light dumplings studded with earthy and fragrant caraway seeds should be served with it too as well as a spoon of silky white smetana over the top.

OK, I know I mentioned Siberia earlier and goulash isn't Siberian, but I think the dumplings would have a place there. They're of the perfect consistency to fuel one, enough to be able to survive in such an inhospitable climate.

I will divulge my recipe at a later date when I have properly checked all the quantities – whilst my goulash recipe may not be authentic, I feel it has everything to inspire the palate and comfort the soul.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails