–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Thursday 31 January 2008

Cauli Killers


I was sad to read in the newspaper, that our humble cauliflower maybe soon meeting its demise.
For those people who hate the vegetable, this would have been a joy to learn, but to me it's something that has got me worried.
Cauliflower can actually be rather nice if not cooked to within an inch of it's life. It can be smothered in a rich cheese sauce or lightly curried in fragrant spices and coconut milk.

The reason for the cauli's alleged imminent end, is that supermarkets pay the farmers such a pittance for it and coupled with harvesting problems last year, the growers say they may have to reduce their planting or even get out of production altogether. This sounds very sad to me indeed, especially as I feel so powerless to enforce any change.
Perhaps boycotting the supermarkets and choosing to buy my cauliflowers elsewhere may have an effect...
If all else fails we'll just have to grow our own.
Photo: everystockphoto.com

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails